This Crawfish, Crab, and Mirliton Cream Soup is sure to warm hearts.
Crawfish, Crab, and Mirliton Cream Soup
Yields: 6 servings
- 3 mirlitons, halved, peeled, and seeded*
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 green onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups Crawfish Stock (recipe follows)*
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Creole seasoning
- ½ (16-ounce) package cooked crawfish tails
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, picked free of shell
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Cut mirlitons into 1 inch cubes. Place in a microwave-safe bowl, and cook on high until soft, about 12 minutes. In the work bowl of a food processor, add mirliton, and process until smooth.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add green onion, garlic, and celery, and cook until softened. Add bay leaf and mirliton, and cook over medium-high heat until most of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add Crawfish Stock, salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning. Cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf, and add the crawfish, crabmeat, and half-and-half. Simmer for 5 minutes, and serve.
*Mirlitons are also sold as chayote squash. Seafood stock may be substituted.
Yields: 6 Cups
- 2 pounds crawfish heads and shells
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes. Strain and let cool completely.