Purple Hull Peas
Write a review
- 2 large smoked ham hocks, rinsed and patted dry
- 5 (1-inch) slices salt pork, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 large smoked pork neck bones, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 pounds purple hull peas, rinsed
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 1 whole okra pod
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Cornbread, fresh sliced yellow onion, sliced tomato, to serve
- In a large stockpot, place ham hocks, salt pork, and neck bones; cover with water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
- Taste cooking liquid to see if it is too salty. If it is, remove liquid, 1 cup at a time, and replace with an equal amount of fresh water until preferred saltiness is reached. Add peas, onion, okra, pepper, seasoned salt, and garlic powder. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove ham hocks, and cut in half. Return ham hocks to pot, and cook until peas are soft but not broken apart, about 30 minutes more. Serve with cornbread, sliced yellow onion, and sliced tomato.
Louisiana Cookin http://www.louisianacookin.com/