Put this classic Red Beans and Rice in a thermos and bring it to your parade route picnic. You’ll be glad that you did.
Red Beans and Rice
Write a review
- 1 (1-pound) package dried red kidney beans
- 8 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound smoked andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cooked white rice
- Garnish: sliced green onion
- In a large Dutch oven, combine beans and 8 cups water, and bring to a rapid boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain, and rinse. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Let drain on paper towels. Add onion, celery, pepper, and garlic to pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Add beans, sausage, broth, ham hock, bay leaves, Creole seasoning, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until beans are tender and liquid has thickened, about 2 hours. Remove bay leaves from pot; discard.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, crush some of the beans against the side of the pot. Serve red beans over cooked white rice. Garnish with sliced green onion, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin http://www.louisianacookin.com/