This Plum-Hibiscus Margarita is the stuff our summer dreams are made of. Try it as an Agua Fresca for a non-alcoholic version.
Author: Armand Gonzales, Araña Taqueria y Cantina, New Orleans
Yields: 1 Serving
- Kosher salt (optional)
- 1½ ounces white tequila*
- 1 ounce Plum-Hibiscus Agua Fresca (recipe follows)
- ¼ ounce orange liqueur*
- Splash sour mix
- Garnish: lemon slice, lime slice, dried hibiscus flowers
- In a small bowl, place kosher salt. Wet the edge of a rocks glass, and dip in salt, if desired.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, Plum-Hibiscus Agua Fresca, orange liqueur, and sour mix. Add ice; cover and shake until cold. Fill prepared glass with ice, and strain margarita into glass. Garnish with lemon slice, lime slice, and dried hibiscus flowers, if desired.
*We used Lunazul Blanco Tequila and Di Amore Quattro Orange Liqueur.
Plum-Hibiscus Agua Fresca
Yields: About 8 cups
- 2 cups dried hibiscus flower
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups water, divided
- 6 to 8 plums, halved and pitted
- 2 cups fresh lime juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine hibiscus, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup water; cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In the container of a blender, combine plums, lime juice, remaining 1 cup sugar, and remaining 1 cup water; blend until smooth. Strain into a large pitcher, discarding solids.
- Add hibiscus syrup to plum juice. Add more water to reduce sweetness, if desired.
Hibiscus flowers may be left in or strained out according to preference.