With 5 pounds of pork, sausage, chicken, and seafood, this gumbo has everything but the kitchen sink!
The 5-Pound Gumbo
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound diced pickled pork
- 1 (16-ounce) package smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced ½ inch thick
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 pound skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 10 cups water
- 5 dried bay leaves
- 3 dried red peppers
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 fresh oysters, shucked and drained
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- In a large enamel-coated Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add pork and sausages; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 12 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Add chicken to pot; cook, turning as needed, until, browned, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- In same Dutch oven, heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet onion, bell pepper, green onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook until light golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in 10 cups water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium, and stir in pork, sausages, chicken, bay leaves, red peppers, salt, and black pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender about 45 minutes. Add shrimp and oysters; cook until firm, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves and red peppers. Serve with rice. Garnish with green onion, if desired.