Shrimp and Chicken Sausage Meat Pies
Yields: Makes 20 pies
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided, plus more for frying
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ pound chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- ½ pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons seafood stock
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Meat Pie Dough (recipe precedes)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Roasted Red Pepper Dip (recipe follows)
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add chicken sausage, garlic, bell pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine, and cook until sausage is no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes more. Drain well, and transfer to a large bowl.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place shrimp. Pulse until small pieces remain. (It will have a paste-like consistency.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together stock and flour. Set aside.
- In same large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add shrimp; cook, stirring constantly, until shrimp begins to turn pink. Stir in flour mixture. Add cream and thyme; stir until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir into sausage mixture. Let cool completely.
- Cut Meat Pie Dough into 20 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough to a 5½-inch circle, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Using a 5-inch round cutter, cut rounds from each piece of dough. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 2 tablespoons water.
- Place 2 tablespoons filling in center of each round. Lightly brush edges with egg wash. Fold dough over filling, and press to seal. Using a fork, crimp along edges of pie. Using a pastry wheel, cut along edges to further seal. Freeze pies before frying.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 370°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels, and place a wire rack on top.
- Remove pies from freezer. Using a slotted spoon, gently place pies, 3 at a time, in hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from oil, and let drain on prepared pan. Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Dip.
Roasted Red Pepper Dip
Yields: about 2 cups
- 3 red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
- ½ medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place bell peppers on prepared pan. Cover with onion and garlic, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Bake until peppers are very tender and begin to brown, about 35 minutes, turning pan halfway through baking. Transfer peppers to a medium heatproof bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Discard remaining ingredients and juices from baking sheet. Let peppers stand until cool.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine peppers, cream cheese, and smoked paprika. Process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until serving.