Crispy, crunchy cracklin’s at home are, perhaps, one of the best guilty pleasures.
Air-Fried Pork Cracklin's with Pickled Onions
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound skin-on pork belly
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- In a small bowl, place onion.
- In a saucepan, bring vinegar, sugar, ¼ cup water, and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour vinegar mixture over red onion. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until ready to use.
- In a large stockpot, combine pork belly, oregano, pepper, remaining 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until pork is tender, about 40 minutes. Drain, and pat dry. Let cool enough to handle, and cut into 2x1-inch strips.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°.
- In a large bowl, toss pork belly, Cajun seasoning, and baking soda until well coated.
- Working in batches, place pork in air fryer basket. Set fryer to 400°, and cook until golden brown and crispy, 20 to 25 minutes, shaking basket occasionally and turning pork belly halfway through cooking. Serve hot with pickled red onions.