The Buttermilk Crema makes this Asparagus with Romesco.
Asparagus with Romesco and Buttermilk Crema
Author: Chef Nina Compton
Yields: 10 Servings
- 2 red bell peppers
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds asparagus
- Buttermilk Crema (recipe follows)
- Position oven rack to highest level, and preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place bell peppers on prepared pan. Broil, turning occasionally, until skin is blackened, about 5 minutes (watching peppers carefully during cooking time). Place peppers in a paper bag, and let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove charred skin; halve and seed peppers.
- In a large sauté pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add almonds; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Let drain on paper towels.
- In the work bowl of a food processor or the container of a blender, place bell pepper, garlic, oil, tomato purée, 2 tablespoons browned almonds, parsley, vinegar, paprika, and cayenne; process until smooth. Add salt, to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus, and cook until just tender.
- Divide asparagus among serving plates. Top with pepper sauce and Buttermilk Crema. Garnish with remaining browned almonds, if desired.
Yields: 1½ cups
- 1 (32-ounce) container whole-milk yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Place a cheesecloth-lined fine-mesh sieve over a large bowl. Add yogurt, and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, buttermilk, zest, and ½ cup strained yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.