As summer sets in and okra flourishes, be sureto try out this crunchy, creamy side.
- 8 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons lightly packed lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15 medium-size fresh okra (about ½ pound), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 10 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thirds
- Garnish: chopped fresh basil, ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine goat cheese, lemon zest, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Fill okra halves with 1 to 1½ teaspoons goat cheese mixture, being careful to avoid overfilling. Wrap bacon around stuffed okra, overlapping. Place okra on prepared pan.
- Bake until bacon is slightly crispy, 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish with basil and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.