Your family will love this easy and elegant Banana Cake with Brown Sugar Meringue.
Banana Cake with Brown Sugar Meringue
A scrumptious twist on banana cake.
Write a review
- ½ cup all-vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Garnish: chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat shortening at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, and continue beating, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides and bottom of bowl, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg yolks, beating until combined.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low, add flour mixture to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, being careful not to overmix. Stir in mashed banana and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cake cool completely on a wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until frothy; gradually add brown sugar, and continue beating on high speed until mixture is thick and fluffy. Spread onto cooled cake.
- Bake until meringue is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve cake warm with vanilla ice cream. Garnish with pecans, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/