This banana cake has a beautiful cream cheese swirl and notes of cinnamon.
Banana Cream Cheese Bundt
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk, room temperature
- 1¼ cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature and divided
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Rum-Cream Cheese Glaze
- Garnish: Mardi Gras sprinkles
Rum-Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon rum
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat buttermilk, banana, brown sugar, ½ cup melted butter, ¼ cup granulated sugar, oil, 3 eggs, rum, and 1 teaspoon vanilla at medium-low speed until well combined, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture, beating until combined after each addition and stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Transfer batter to a large bowl.
- Clean bowl of stand mixer and paddle attachment. Using the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, remaining 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, and remaining 2 teaspoons flour at medium speed until smooth and well combined, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add remaining 1 egg and remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla; beat until smooth and well combined, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- Spray a 10-cup Bundt pan with baking spray with flour. Spoon 4 cups batter into prepared pan; forcefully tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter several times to release as many air bubbles as possible. Spoon a ring of cream cheese mixture in center of batter in pan, leaving a ¼-inch border around inner and outer edges of pan. (Cream cheese mixture will have the consistency of cheesecake filling, so you will be able to almost drizzle, rather than dollop, the mixture; it is fine if cream cheese mixture touches sides of pan in places.) Using a butter knife, gently swirl cream cheese mixture into batter using a folding motion. Spoon remaining batter on top, covering cream cheese mixture. Do not tap pan. (Pan will be quite full, but batter will not overflow during baking.)
- Bake for 45 minutes. Cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean and an instant-read thermometer inserted near center registers at least 200°, 15 to 20 minutes more. (It’s OK if some cream cheese mixture peeks through surface of cake.) Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack placed over a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet, and let cool completely.
- Spoon Rum-Cream Cheese Glaze onto cooled cake, and let drip down sides. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
Rum-Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a medium bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth. Whisk in Sugar and rum. Whisk in heavy cream until combined.