Caramelized banana halves and rum extract jazz up this banana bread.
Bananas Foster Banana Bread
Makes 1 (8½×4½-Inch) Loaf
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- Caramelized Banana (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 medium slightly underripe banana, halved lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray an 8½×4½-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed banana, sugars, melted butter, yogurt, eggs, and rum extract until smooth. Fold banana mixture into flour mixture until well combined. Gently fold in pecans. Spread batter in prepared pan. Place Caramelized Banana halves, cut side up, on top of batter. Reserve sauce from Caramelized Banana.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes more. Brush with reserved sauce. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in rum.
- Gently press brown sugar onto each cut side of banana. Place banana halves, cut side down, in skillet; cook until banana halves are golden brown and caramelized, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently turn, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside until ready to use.