This cake is layered with a decadent bananas Foster-style filling and drizzled with a rum-spiked caramel sauce.
Bananas Foster Crumb Cake
Makes 1 (8-Inch) Cake
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1½ tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 2 medium bananas, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1½ cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Rum Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
Rum Caramel Sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons softened butter over low heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon; cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully add rum and cream; cook, stirring frequently, until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bananas; cook, stirring gently to coat bananas, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and using a slotted spoon, transfer bananas to a small bowl. Let butter mixture cool in pan until slightly thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons flour, nutmeg, remaining ⅓ cup brown sugar, and remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in pecans.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat granulated sugar and remaining ½ cup softened butter with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Roughly mash cooked bananas. Add bananas and vanilla to sugar mixture, stirring to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together baking powder, salt, and remaining 1½ cups flour. Gradually add baking powder mixture to sugar mixture, beating with a mixer at low speed just until combined. Fold in yogurt. Spread three-fourths of batter in prepared pan. Spoon reserved butter mixture on top, leaving a ¼-inch border around edges of pan. Top with remaining batter, smoothing with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with pecan topping.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Loosely cover with foil, and bake until topping is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes more. Let cool completely in pan. Serve with Rum Caramel Sauce.
Rum Caramel Sauce
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, place sugar.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons water and corn syrup until well combined. Pour corn syrup mixture over sugar in pan, stirring to moisten. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until mixture just begins to turn amber in color, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter; whisk until melted.
- In a microwave-safe measuring cup, heat cream on high until hot but not boiling, about 30 seconds. Slowly pour cream into caramel, stirring until smooth. (If mixture is not smooth, cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.) Stir in rum and salt. Let stand until completely cool.