Pecan Streusel gives these bananas Foster-inspired muffins a delightful crunch.
Bananas Foster Muffins
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Pecan Streusel (recipe follows)
- Bananas Foster Caramel (recipe follows)
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
BANANAS FOSTER CARAMEL
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons banana liqueur
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, place melted butter. Whisk in sugar, banana, egg, and rum until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Whisk flour mixture into butter mixture. Add sour cream and milk, whisking just until combined. Fold in pecans. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with Pecan Streusel.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and drizzle with Bananas Foster Caramel. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in pecans. Add melted butter, stirring until mixture is crumbly. Crumble with your fingertips until desired consistency is reached.
BANANAS FOSTER CARAMEL
- In a small saucepan, whisk together brown sugar, rum, liqueur, and corn syrup until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring gently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 245° to 250°, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until combined after each addition. Return mixture to medium heat, and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. If caramel cools completely, it will thicken. Simply reheat to loosen, if needed.
<strong>KITCHEN TIP:</strong> Caramel can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 1 week. Reheat to serve.