This sandwich is packed with fresh crabmeat and tangy pickled veggies.
Banh Mi-Style Crab Rolls
Makes 6 Servings
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning*
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and picked free of shell
- 6 (6- to 8-inch) baguette pieces, split lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 12 Bibb lettuce leaves
- Pickled Vegetables (recipe follows), to serve
- Thinly sliced jalapeño and fresh cilantro sprigs, to serve
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 pound daikon radish, peeled and julienned (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups julienned carrot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, vinegar, and Cajun seasoning. Gently stir in crab.
- Spread cut side of baguette with butter. Arrange, butter side up, on baking sheets.
- Broil 4 inches from heat until lightly toasted, about 45 seconds.
- Line baguette with lettuce. Fill each with about ½ cup crabmeat mixture. Using a slotted spoon, top with Pickled Vegetables. Top with jalapeño and cilantro. Serve with remaining Pickled Vegetables.
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Let cool completely.
- In a large colander, toss together daikon, carrot, and salt, and let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water; drain, and pat dry. Transfer vegetable mixture to a large bowl; add vinegar mixture, and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.