“This recipe for barbecued crabs is one I dearly treasure. It was given to me years ago by my friend, the late Henry Mayer, who was an avid outdoorsman and a grand cook.” – Marcelle Bienvenu
Henry’s Barbecued Crabs
Fresh Louisiana crabs get the barbecue treatment in this unique dish.
Write a review
- 24 live blue crabs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups butter
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons concentrated liquid crab and shrimp boil, such as Zatarain’s
- 1 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat grill to medium-low (300°).
- Scald crabs with hot water to stun. Remove the back (top shell) from each crab, and clean out gills, lungs, and center of each. Crack the claws, but do not remove the shells. Season crabs with salt and cayenne.
- In a large saucepan, combine butter, lemon juice, crab and shrimp boil, seasoning mix, Worcestershire, garlic powder, and paprika. Heat over low heat until butter is melted. With a basting brush, brush about one-third of the sauce on crabs.
- Place crabs, cavity side down, on grill, and close the lid. Cook about 10 minutes. Flip crabs, and fill cavities with more butter sauce. Close the lid, and cook 10 to 15 minutes more. Time will vary according to the size of the crabs. Brush crabs with remaining butter sauce, and serve immediately.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/