You could make regular-size beignets, but these dippable ones are so fun.
Beignet Fries with Strawberry Sauce
Makes about 12 servings
- ½ cup warm water (105° to 110°)
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4¼ cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Strawberry Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled
- and quartered
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a 1-cup glass measuring cup, stir together ½ cup warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon granulated sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together ½ cup boiling water, evaporated milk, melted butter, salt, vanilla, and remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar by hand. Whisk in yeast mixture and egg. Add flour. Using the dough hook attachment, beat at medium speed until dough comes together, starts to get smooth and soft, and forms a ball at base of dough hook, 6 to 7 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. (Dough should stick to your fingers when you touch it but release after you pull away.)
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375°.
- Divide dough in half. On a heavily floured surface, roll half of dough into a 16x6-inch rectangle (about ½ inch thick). Wrap remaining dough tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for a later use.* Trim ½ inch off all edges to create a 15x5-inch rectangle. Cut into 2 (15x2½-inch) strips. Cut each strip into 30 (2½x½-inch) strips. Separate pieces so they do not stick back together, using more flour as needed.
- Place 5 to 6 pieces of dough at a time in hot oil; when settled on top of oil, immediately turn. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Carefully remove from oil, and let drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough. Dust confectioners’ sugar over hot beignets. Serve warm with Strawberry Sauce.
- In a small stockpot, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and let cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate until ready to use.
*When ready to use, let dough thaw in refrigerator and proceed with recipe as directed.