This simple blueberry cake is a great way to use summer berries, and adding a dollop of Lemon Cream brings out their sweet flavor.
Yields: 6-8 servings
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1¼ cups fresh blueberries, divided
- Lemon Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Grease pan with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, turning to coat.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining ½ cup butter and remaining ¾ cup granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg and almond extract, beating well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in zest. Gently fold in ¼ cup blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup blueberries. Tap pan on counter twice to release air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with Lemon Cream. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Yields: 1½ Cups
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons prepared lemon curd
- In a medium bowl, beat cream and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer at high speed until thickened and creamy.
- In a small bowl, stir lemon curd vigorously with a spoon. Add curd to whipped cream, beating just until incorporated. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 day.