We made these pies with blueberries, but they would be equally delicious with other fresh fruit pie fillings.
Blueberry Sweet Dough Pies
Makes 6 (5-inch) Pies
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼. teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- Blueberry Filling (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons demerara sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2⅓ cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add egg yolk, and beat until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, combine milk and almond extract. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating just until smooth after each addition and stopping to scrapes sides of bowl. (Be careful not to overmix; dough should be soft and sticky.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut 6 (5-inch) circles from parchment paper, and set aside.
- Divide dough into 6 portions. Using floured hands, roll each portion into a ball. On a heavily floured surface, using a floured rolling pin, roll each dough ball into a 5-inch circle (⅛-inch thickness). Place each dough circle on a parchment circle. Gently fit dough and parchment into 6 (5-inch) pie plates. (Edges of dough will look ruffled.) Fill each with ¼ cup Blueberry Filling. Fold dough edges in toward center of each pie.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Lightly brush dough with egg wash. Sprinkle with demerara sugar, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool completely in pans.
- In a small saucepan, stir together sugar, 3 tablespoons water, cornstarch, and salt until smooth. Add 1. cups blueberries, and bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in butter, lemon juice, and remaining blueberries. Let cool completely.