Bourbon-Bacon Field Peas with Collards
Yield: 6 (1-cup) Servings
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped, about 1½ cups
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-pound) package Camellia Brand Field Peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 cups water
- 1 small bunch collard greens, stems removed, sliced, about 4 cups
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper, for garnish
- Fried chicken, for serving
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels, reserving 4 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- Add onion to drippings. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onion is tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more. Stir in field peas, bay leaf, 7 cups water and bacon. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir in collard greens, bourbon, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until peas and collards are very tender, about 45 minutes more. Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and serve with fried chicken.