Bread Pudding with Meringue
A traditional Creole bread pudding.
Write a review
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 2⅔ cups plus ½ cup sugar, divided
- 3 (15-ounce) cans evaporated milk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons plus ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1½ (16-ounce) loaves French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart
- baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Slowly add 2⅔ cups sugar to yolks, whisking until smooth and fluffy. Add milk, butter, and 3 tablespoons vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add bread and fold until bread is coated. Place in prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed by the bread. Place on a wire rack to cool while preparing meringue.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, remaining ½ cup sugar, remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla, and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Top bread pudding with meringue mixture. Bake until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/