Whether for a big tailgate or a quick weeknight supper, it’s hard to beat the warm comfort that macaroni and cheese brings to the table. Here, we kicked up the spice and added smoked andouille sausage for a distinctly Cajun flavor. For an unexpected twist, try different pasta shapes. Some of our favorites include cavatappi, shells, and orecchiette.
Cajun Mac & Cheese
Author: Elizabeth Nelson
- 1 (14-ounce) package andouille sausage, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 quart whole milk
- 16 ounces shredded American cheese
- 3 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow pasta, cooked and kept warm
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add red and green bell pepper; cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and Cajun seasoning; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low, add cheeses, and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Add cooked pasta, stirring gently to combine. Serve immediately.
I saw the recipe and decided to give it my own twist.
I boiled the elbow pasta normally, used velveeta cheese (3/4 block), one cup of milk, and slap ya mama cajun seasoning.
In a separate skillet I browned cajun sausage and added the peppers (red and green).
Once done, I added the sausage and peppers to the pasta and let it simmer together for about 15minutes so the sausage flavor could run through it.
I made this recipe tonight for dinner! Didnt have andouille sausage but spicy fresh sausage worked great! I only used 16oz of cheese and I thought it was plenty cheesey. Great recipe, will surely add to my rotation! Thank you!!
Made this yesterday and family loved it. Thanks for a great recipe.
I made this recipe last week for my family and me, and it turned out excellent. We all loved it and I am definately going to make it again. Very tasty and filling with a touch of spiciness. Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
I added a chopped onion cooked with the sausage plus a clove of garlic. Also going to add a couple stalks of chopped celery. My family loves this dish.
Great minds think alike! I don’t have any bell peppers on hand but looked at what I did have. Onion and garlic! I’m glad to hear your family loved it. I’m fiddin’ to give it a try! I’ll give it 4 stars because 1 star is, I’m sure, has to be a mistake.
I added onion, mushrooms, nutmeg and paprika. Turned out crazy good. Thank you !
worked very well. I had no andouille so i used kielbasa an added extra cayenne. worked out just fine. this dish is so cheesy you could easily stretch the sauce out to 2lbs pasta and it still works
I made this again, but with far more substitutions. this is also a pretty good template for mac and cheese with stuff in it as well as specifically cajun mac
I made it for dinner tonight. Excellent recipe. If I make it again, I’ll use a little less cheese, and maybe a little more mile or cream. It was almost too cheesy. The family gave me 9.8! Lol