Mac and cheese is a surefire favorite, and this spicy andouille version is unbeatable.
Cajun Macaroni and Cheese
Makes 8 to 10 Servings
- 1 (14-ounce) package andouille sausage, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Garnish: paprika
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook andouille over medium heat until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, onion, and garlic to skillet. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour, salt, paprika, black pepper, dry mustard, and cayenne over andouille mixture. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; add all cheese, and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Gradually and gently stir pasta into cheese mixture until combined. Garnish with paprika, if desired. Serve immediately.