If you like roasted chickpeas, you’re going to love these crispy red beans tossed with fresh herbs and spices.
Cajun Spiced Crispy Red Beans
Makes About 2 Cups
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Garnish: fresh thyme leaves
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels.
- Spread beans in an even layer on paper towel-lined pan; thoroughly pat dry, and let air-dry for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place beans on parchment-lined pan; toss with oil and salt.
- Bake until crispy, 40 to 45 minutes, stirring halfway through baking. (Beans will burst open when baking.)
- In a small bowl, stir together chopped thyme, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne; immediately sprinkle thyme mixture onto hot beans, stirring until well coated. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired. Serve immediately. Beans are best eaten the same day but will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.