Our Cajun Wedding Soup features classic Bayou State flavors.
Cajun Wedding Soup
Yields: 8 servings
- 8 ounces andouille sausage
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 slice white bread, torn into small pieces
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup orzo
- Garnish: grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine sausage and onion; process until finely ground, to 4 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together ½ cup Parmesan, parsley, 1 egg, garlic, salt, peppers, and bread. Stir in sausage mixture and pork. Shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared pan.
- Bake until slightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- In a large stockpot, bring broth to a boil over medium heat. Add carrot, and simmer until slightly tender, about 10 minutes. Add endive, orzo, and meatballs; cook until meatballs are cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan and remaining 2 eggs. Stir soup in a circular motion, and gradually drizzle in egg mixture. Stir for 1 minute. Garnish with Parmesan, if desired.