When you need a showstopping meal, a whole roasted duck does the trick.
Cane Syrup-Glazed Roasted Duck
Yields: 4 servings
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons Steen’s Cane Syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- ½ teaspoon smoked chipotle
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) duck
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- Garnish: orange slices, sage, and tarragon
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place a roasting rack in a roasting pan.
- In a medium saucepan, bring orange juice, brown sugar, 4 tablespoons butter, cane syrup, honey, and ½ teaspoon salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- In a small sauté pan, heat onion, orange zest, chopped herbs, chipotle, paprika, cayenne, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes; stir into glaze. Reserve half of the glaze for basting.
- Rinse duck, and pat dry with paper towels. Place duck, breast side up, on prepared rack. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Brush duck with oil mixture. Stuff duck with herb sprigs.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Brush duck with some of the basting glaze, and bake until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion of breast registers 165°, about 40 minutes more, brushing duck with remaining basting glaze halfway through. Remove from oven. Rewarm glaze in saucepan. Serve with duck. Garnish with orange slices, sage, and tarragon.
Where can I get Steen’s cane syrup in Miami Florida?
Distribution is going to vary by region, but we’d suggest starting with Publix. If they don’t have it on the shelves, they could likely order some for you.
Amazon has it