Try this sweet and creamy Caramel Rice Pudding this holiday season.
Caramel Rice Pudding
Write a review
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 cups water, divided
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- In a large roasting pan, place 8 (8-ounce) ramekins.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine 1½ cups sugar and 1 cup water. Cook over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer registers 340°. Remove from heat, and immediately divide sugar mixture among ramekins. Set aside, and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine remaining 2 cups water, half-and-half, rice, salt, and brown sugar. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring frequently, until rice is tender and mixture is thick and creamy, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a separate small saucepan, over medium heat, combine cream, butter, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Cook mixture until butter is melted, sugar is dissolved, and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and add about 1/4 cup hot cream mixture to egg yolks, whisking constantly. Add yolk mixture to warm cream mixture, and whisk to combine. Add this mixture to rice mixture, stirring to combine.
- Spoon rice mixture into prepared ramekins. Pour enough water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Tightly cover roasting pan with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove roasting pan from oven, and remove foil. Let cool to room temperature. Once cooled, remove ramekins from roasting pan. Sprinkle about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar over each rice pudding. Using a kitchen torch, caramelize sugar. Serve immediately.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/
that looks so yummy. jan