Cheesy Oyster and Chorizo Gratin
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ½ pound fresh chorizo sausage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pint raw oysters, drained
- ½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Heat an 8-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and garlic; cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes. Let drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean. Add butter, and cook until melted. Whisk in flour, and cook until bubbly. Gradually whisk in milk and wine until smooth; cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Whisk in Cheddar, Gruyère, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until smooth. Stir in oysters and reserved chorizo mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, garlic powder, and onion powder. Sprinkle over oyster mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake on middle rack of oven until golden brown and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Serve with bread.