Chicken Liver Mousse with Pomegranates
A festive holiday appetizer.
Write a review
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 shallots, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- ¼ cup orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Whole-grain mustard (optional)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallot and ¼ teaspoon salt; sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and thyme, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add liver and cook until browned but slightly pink inside, about 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to the work bowl of a food processor.
- Add orange liqueur to the skillet, and cook over high heat. Boil until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add liqueur and cream to liver mixture. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Process on high speed until very smooth; add remaining ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve at room temperature on toasted baguette slices topped with pomegranate seeds and mustard, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/