Chicken and Sausage Pot Pie with Fennel and Chestnuts
Smart and savory, this updated pot pie is a real charmer.
Write a review
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped fennel
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (7.4-ounce) jar whole-roasted chestnuts, chopped
- ½ cup dry vermouth
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Piecrusts, recipe follows
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons butter and flour until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add fennel, onion, and thyme; cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add sausage, garlic, and fennel seeds; cook 10 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add chicken and cook 5 minutes. Stir in chestnuts and vermouth; cook until slightly reduced, about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add butter mixture, and stir until no lumps remain. Bring sauce back to a simmer, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add parsley, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Roll Piecrusts into 2 (10-inch) rounds. In a small bowl, stir together egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water.
- Transfer chicken mixture to 2 (9-inch) pie dishes, and top with prepared Piecrusts. Trim excess edges, and crimp to seal. Cut 4 slits into top of crust, and brush top with egg mixture.
- Bake until crust is brown and filling is bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/