This seafood-studded side is filled to the brim with Southern flavor.
Chilled Crab Succotash
Makes about 8 Servings
- 1 pound fresh or frozen lima beans
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears corn)
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pickle brine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked free of shell
- 1 (16-ounce) jar pickled okra, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup chopped green onion
- Garnish: crumbled bacon, fresh dill
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil, and add lima beans; reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, and let cool.
- In a medium skillet, cook corn over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice, brine, dill, salt, Creole seasoning, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine lima beans, corn, crab, okra, tomatoes, red onion, and green onion. Add buttermilk mixture, and toss until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Garnish with bacon and dill, if desired.