Creole Crab Dip
Author: Chef Chris Montero
Makes 12 Servings
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup minced shallot
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- 16 ounces Creole cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons minced green onion
- 4 pounds lump crabmeat, picked free of shell, divided
- 12 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Toasted brioche baguette slices, to serve
- Garnish: sliced green onion, Creole Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large skillet, melt 6 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add shallot; sauté until softened. Add cream, and cook until reduced by two-thirds. Reduce heat to low; fold in cream cheese and mascarpone. Slowly add Creole cream cheese. (The sauce will be thin.) Cook until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; add green onion, and let cool.
- Place cream cheese mixture back over low heat to warm; gently fold in 2 pounds crabmeat. Scoop mixture into 12 (6- to 7-ounce) ramekins. Top with goat cheese.
- Broil until goat cheese is hot and slightly melted.
- In a large skillet, melt olive oil with remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 pounds crabmeat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Top dip with sautéed crabmeat, and garnish with green onion and Creole Seasoning, if desired. Serve with baguette slices.