Cooking turnips in fresh orange juice gives them a bright flavor and lovely texture in this easy side dish.
Makes 8 to 10 Servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2½ cups julienned yellow onion (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons sliced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 12 cups chopped peeled turnips (about 4½ pounds)
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Juice of 4 oranges
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Add anchovy fillets; cook for 1 minute while smashing into a paste with the back of a wooden spoon. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper; cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add white wine, and cook until almost absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add turnips, orange zest and juice, and rosemary to pot. Cover and cook, gently stirring occasionally and adding a splash of water if needed, until forktender, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve with a generous drizzle of oil.