We took an updated approach to the classic boil with some fun additions, including whole artichokes and sweet potatoes.
Citrus Spice Boiled Crawfish
Yields: 4 Servings
- 4 gallons water
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried juniper berries
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 1½ tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon anise
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 pounds fresh artichokes
- 3 pounds baby sweet potatoes, quartered
- 3 heads garlic, unpeeled
- 5 lemons, halved
- 8 ears corn, shucked and halved
- 1 pound smoked andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 30 pounds live crawfish
- Creole Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a 40-quart stockpot, bring 4 gallons water and salt to a boil over high heat.
- In a spice grinder, grind together peppercorns, juniper berries, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, dill, and mustard seeds.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together spice mixture, cayenne, red pepper, paprika, marjoram, nutmeg, anise, chili powder, onion powder, dry mustard, lemon pepper, and oregano; add mixture to boiling water.
- Add artichokes; cover and boil for 25 to 35 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, garlic, and lemons; boil until sweet potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add corn and sausage; boil for 8 minutes. Remove vegetables and sausage from boiling water, and keep warm.
- In batches, add crawfish to water and boil for 3 minutes, covered. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Drain well, reserving water. Return water to a boil, and repeat with remaining crawfish. Serve with Creole Dipping Sauce.
Creole Dipping Sauce
Yields: 1¼ cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Creole mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.