The Sazerac is New Orleans’ official cocktail. Try this classic Sazerac at home today.
Write a review
- 1 sugar cube or ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 drops Peychaud’s Bitters
- 2 ounces rye whisky
- 1 dash absinthe (see note)
- Garnish: (2-inch) piece lemon peel
- Fill an old-fashioned glass with ice, and let stand until very cold, about 5 minutes.
- In a second old-fashioned glass, place sugar, and add just enough water to moisten; muddle with a bar spoon. Add bitters and whisky with several pieces of ice; stir until very cold, about 1 minute.
- Empty ice-filled glass, and add absinthe; swirl to coat sides, and pour out any excess. Strain whisky mixture into absinthe-coated glass. Garnish with lemon peel.
- Substitute an herbal licorice-flavored liqueur such as Pernod, Ricard, or Herbsaint for absinthe, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/