This classic starter is a cinch to prepare, making holiday entertaining easy.
Classic Shrimp Rémoulade
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plus ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups water
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 10 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds unpeeled medium fresh shrimp
- 4 cups baby arugula
- Garnish: fresh tarragon
- In a medium bowl, stir together lemon zest and juice, mayonnaise, ¼ teaspoon salt, parsley, tarragon, horseradish, mustard, and cayenne until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 8 cups water, lemon slices, bay leaves, red pepper, and remaining ¼ cup salt over medium-high heat until simmering. Add shrimp; cook until bright pink and firm, about 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and place in an ice water bath until cool. Drain well. Peel shrimp.
- In a large bowl, stir together shrimp and rémoulade sauce until coated. Serve over arugula. Garnish with tarragon, if desired.