This Corn & Crawfish Bisque from the Cajun Ninja is the perfect dish to make on cool fall evenings.
Corn & Crawfish Bisque
Author: Cajun Ninja
Makes 16 Cups
- 2 sticks salted butter, divided
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (10-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 quarts half-and-half
- 2 (14.75-ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10-ounce) bags frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon Pi-YAHHHHH!! Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds frozen crawfish tails, thawed
- Thick crackers or French bread, to serve
- Start out by heating a large pot and a sauté pan over a low heat.
- Melt ½ stick butter in the sauté pan. Increase the heat to a medium-low, and drop in your yellow onion, bell pepper, celery, green onion, and garlic.
- In your large pot, melt remaining 1½ sticks butter; increase the heat, and blend in the flour, stirring frequently. You’re going to want to go back and forth between your pot and pan consistently stirring for about 30 minutes. The idea is to get very soft vegetables and a peanut butter color roux. If one happens to come along faster than the other, turn the heat off to that one burner, and continue to work on the other one.
- Once you have both a peanut butter color roux and very tender vegetables, stir the chicken broth into the vegetables and then pour the mixture into the pot with the roux. Mix well. Add the half-and-half, and raise your heat to a medium-high. Add the cream-style corn, soup, frozen corn, Pi-YAHHHHH!! Seasoning, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and black pepper. Mix well. Let the heat rise until you see some slight bubbling; lower heat, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once that time has passed, add your crawfish, and let simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes. Serve with some thick crackers or French bread, and enjoy!