This hearty crab and shrimp stew by Marcelle Bienvenu is perfect for cool autumn days.
Crab and Shrimp Stew
A hearty seafood stew.
Write a review
- 12 large live blue crabs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups seafood stock
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked free of shells
- 1½ pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Scald crabs with hot water to stun. Remove the back (top shell) from each crab, and clean out gills, lungs, and center of each. Crack crabs in half, and remove claws. Reserve claws for stock.
- In a large heavy stockpot, combine oil and flour, and heat over medium heat. Stirring slowly, make a dark-brown roux, 15 to 20 minutes. Add onion, bell peppers, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add bay leaves, salt, cayenne, and seafood stock. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, add crabs, and simmer 20 minutes. Add crabmeat and shrimp, and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and add parsley. Serve hot.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/