The spicy vinaigrette makes this Crabmeat and Avocado Salad unforgettable.
Crabmeat and Avocado Salad
Author: Chef Chris Montero of Napoleon House
Yields: 12 servings
- 3 large Creole tomatoes, halved
- 3 large Hass avocados, halved and pitted
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Spicy Vinaigrette (recipe follows), divided
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked free of shell
- Garnish: lemon zest, fresh lemon juice
- Cut each tomato half into 6 wedges, about ½-inch thick. Peel avocado halves, and cut each half lengthwise into 6 slices. In the center of each of 12 chilled salad plates, fan 3 tomato wedges
and3 avocado slices. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, vigorously whisk ½ cup Spicy Vinaigrette to blend all ingredients. Add crabmeat, stirring very gently with a spoon to keep lumps intact.
- Vigorously whisk remaining ½ cup Spicy Vinaigrette, and drizzle about 1 tablespoon over each serving of tomato and avocado. Spoon a portion of crabmeat over
edgeof tomato and avocado, allowing most of it to fall onto plate. Garnish with lemon zest and juice, if desired. Serve immediately.
Yields: 1 cup
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup minced green bell pepper
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons mild-flavored honey, such as clover honey
- 1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a medium nonreactive bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Note: Vinaigrette may be prepared up to 3 days in advance. If the oil separates, return the vinaigrette to room temperature, and whisk vigorously immediately before using.