These spicy, creamy bites are the perfect party appetizer. Any fresh Louisiana crabmeat will be great in this recipe.
Crabmeat-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers
Yields: About 30
- 30 jalapeños
- ½ pound lump crabmeat, picked free of shell
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh chives
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons panko (Japanese bread crumbs), divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons dry mustard
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Spicy Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
- Using a Y-shaped vegetable peeler, peel each jalapeño. Using a paring knife, cut a slit down length of each jalapeño. Using a spoon, remove seeds, being careful to keep peppers intact. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together crabmeat, cream cheese, chives, 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, lemon zest and juice, egg yolks, garlic, mustard, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper with a fork. Spoon mixture into jalapeños. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk. In another medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. In a third medium bowl, place remaining 2 cups bread crumbs.
- Pour oil into a deep fryer, and heat to 325°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels.
- Toss jalapeños in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Dredge in bread crumbs, shaking off excess. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Let drain on prepared pan. Serve immediately with Spicy Dipping Sauce.
Spicy Dipping Sauce
Yields: 2 cups
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- ¼ cup dry mustard
- ¼ cup prepared creamy horseradish
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
This is an excellent recipe and thank you.