Topped with crushed cracklin’s and a savory tasso mixture, this is the perfect side for any occasion.
Cracklin' Tasso Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
Makes 4 Servings
- 4 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup finely diced tasso
- ½ cup crumbled cracklin’s
- Garnish: chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place potatoes on prepared pan; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bake until fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut a wedge out of the top third of each potato, and scoop out pulp, leaving a ¼-inch border. Return to pan. Reduce oven temperature to 400°.
- In a large bowl, using a potato masher, mash together potato pulp, cheese, butter, egg, rosemary, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt until smooth. Spoon into potato shells.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add tasso; cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cracklin’s. Top potatoes with tasso mixture; garnish with rosemary, if desired.