Inspired by the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival favorite, these cheesy bites are a great way to start a party.
Crawfish Bread Bites
Makes about 20
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ pound crawfish tails, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (18-inch) loaf French bread, halved lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add bell pepper, and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes, crawfish, cheeses, salt, and black pepper to onion mixture; stir until well combined. Divide mixture between bread halves, spreading into an even layer.
- Bake until cheese is hot and melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a serrated knife, slice crosswise into servings. Serve warm.