This cheesy Crawfish Gratin is a wonderfully decadent treat.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter plus more for greasing, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 (16-ounce) packages cooked crawfish tails
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Butter a 1½-quart baking dish. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, celery, and bell pepper, and cook until vegetables are heated, about 3 minutes. Add crawfish tails, tossing to combine. Remove from heat, and let stand.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter. Add flour, and whisk until smooth. Add wine, milk, and heavy cream, and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add cheeses, parsley, juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire, Old Bay Seasoning, pepper, and salt. Whisk until smooth. Add cream mixture to crawfish mixture, stirring to combine. Pour into prepared dish.
- In a small bowl, combine Cheddar with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over crawfish mixture, and bake until golden and bubbly, 12 to 15 minutes.