Crawfish and Spinach Bread Pudding
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 8 ounces whole-wheat bread, cubed
- ¾ (16-ounce) package cooked crawfish tails, coarsely chopped
- ¼ pound lump crabmeat, picked free of shell
- 1 (5-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Chopped fresh oregano
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Spread bread cubes out on a dish towel. Let stand at room temperature until dried out and hard to the touch, about 12 hours.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, crawfish, crab, spinach, and ¾ cup feta.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, mustard, and lemon zest and juice. Add eggs, whisking until combined. Add milk, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture, stirring until moistened. Pour into prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup feta.
- Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil. Drizzle with melted butter. Broil until top is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.