This rich cauliflower soup feels even more luxurious with crawfish tails added to the mix.
Creamy Cauliflower and Crawfish Soup
Makes About 2 Quarts
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 5 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 large head)
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon paste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1¾ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound crawfish tails, drained and rinsed
- Garnish: heavy whipping cream, chopped fresh chives, hot sauce, ground black pepper
- In a large enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, onion, and potato; cook until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add garlic to vegetables, and cook for 1 minute. Add 3 cups water, sherry, lemon juice, bouillon paste, salt, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook for 35 minutes.
- Add cream to vegetable mixture, stirring to combine. Remove from heat, and using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Place a large fine-mesh sieve over a large bowl; strain soup, pressing with a spatula, discarding solids. (Alternatively, transfer soup to the container of a blender; remove center piece of lid to let steam escape, and place a clean towel over opening in lid to avoid splatters. Process until smooth.)
- Return soup to pot. Stir in crawfish. Cook over medium-low heat until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Garnish with cream, chives, hot sauce, and pepper, if desired.