This rich and creamy appetizer is full of summery goodness.
Creamy Pesto Shrimp
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
- 2 cups packed fresh basil
- 1¾ cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup pecans
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped and divided
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound colossal fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grilled bread, to serve
- Garnish: crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine basil, ¼ cup cheese, pecans, and 1 clove garlic; pulse until finely chopped, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. With processor running, add ¼ cup oil in a slow, steady stream until mixture is smooth but still has texture. Transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for 1 hour or until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, and cook until browned, about 1 minute per side. Remove shrimp from pan.
- In same pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallot, crushed red pepper, and remaining 1 clove garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallot is softened and aromatic, about 2 minutes. Whisk in cream until combined. Simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 1½ cups cheese, stirring until cheese is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in pesto. Transfer sauce to a 1-quart baking dish. Arrange shrimp on top of sauce.
- Bake until bubbly and shrimp are warmed through, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with grilled bread. Garnish with crushed red pepper, if desired.