This Creamy Smoked Sweet Potato Soup won the Fresh category prize in the 2014 Louisiana Yam Recipe Contest, sponsored by the Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.
Creamy Smoked Sweet Potato Soup
Write a review
- 4 extra-large sweet potatoes (about 5 pounds)
- 4 cups seafood stock
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound fresh jumbo lump crabmeat, picked free of shells
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- Prepare a smoker to 200°.
- Smoke sweet potatoes 2½ to 3 hours. Let cool, and peel. In a large Dutch oven, combine sweet potatoes, stock, and cream. With an immersion blender, blend on high speed until smooth. Heat over medium heat, and add ½ teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
- In a medium bowl, combine crab, lemon juice, red pepper, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, butter, and chives. Divide soup among bowls and top with crabmeat mixture.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/
The 2014 Louisiana Yam Recipe Contest Winners