This Creole Tomato Pie from Chef Nathan Richard of Cavan is one of our favorite ways to use Creole tomatoes.
Creole Tomato Pie
Author: Chef Nathan Richard, Cavan, New Orleans
Yields: 1 Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 2 onions, very thinly sliced
- 3 pounds Creole tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2½ cups crushed buttery round crackers, divided
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 (16-ounce) package extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (16-ounce) package Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease a medium cast-iron skillet with oil.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, torn basil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Scatter 1 cup crushed crackers in prepared skillet. Pour tomato filling over crackers. Sprinkle with 1 cup crushed crackers.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, Cheddar, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and chopped basil. Spread mayonnaise mixture over crackers. Top with remaining ½ cup crushed crackers.
- Bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.