These Crispy Feta Toasts with Pancetta make a wonderful summertime appetizer.
Crispy Feta Toasts with Pancetta
Yields: 12 servings
- 1 (10-inch) loaf round fresh sourdough bread, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 12 thin round slices pancetta
- 1 (8-ounce) package feta cheese, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chiffonade
- Balsamic vinegar glaze, for drizzling
- Garnish: basil leaves
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Brush bread with oil. Grill bread until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes per side. Remove, and let cool.* Cut each slice in half diagonally.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange pancetta slices in a single layer on prepared pan. Bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined wire rack, and let stand until crisp.
- Top each slice of bread with feta and pancetta. Sprinkle with basil, and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Garnish with basil, if desired, and serve immediately.