Give your bread pudding a delicious twist with this Croque Madame inspired recipe.
Croque Madame Bread Pudding
Yields: 12 to 14 servings
- 1 pound Canadian bacon, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 14 large eggs, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 cups sourdough bread, cubed (about 1 pound)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together bacon, 6 eggs, milk, cheeses, cream, 1 tablespoon thyme, salt, and pepper. Fold in cubed bread. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Carefully remove from oven, and place on a wire rack. Crack remaining 8 eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl. Gently pour eggs on top of bread pudding.
- Bake 30 minutes more. Increase oven temperature to broil. Bake 5 minutes more to ensure whites are set and bread is toasted. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme. Serve warm.
Find more of our favorite bread pudding recipes in our newest edition of Louisiana Cookin’.